Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Ill-Fitting Samples

One thing that sometimes puts me off a pattern on the "Big 4"'s websites is the terrible fit on the models. Here is the best example:

Burda Shift Dress. I really hope this isn't supposed to look like this :/ Shift dresses do not have a literal waist, but it is defined by darts and the cut of the fabric. This just looks like a hospital gown. I wouldn't buy this in a million years.

Vintage Vogue is the same:

Vintage Vogue 8811. What is that sleeve? Lol. It looks so baggy, frumpy, and shapeless on her. They can't (at least) pin it to fit better? Is this to appeal to modern buyers who are used to shapeless modern clothing? I don't understand! The illustration on the pattern is a much better example of this dress:

And don't even get me started on that "1940"!!

4 comments:

  1. I agree! This is another reason why I dont buy modern patterns. The samples are TERRIBLE. And so frumpy and horrible. They NEVER hem them - so the vintage reissues dont actually hit the leg at the right spot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They all look the same when a person models them -- like a frumpy, half-finished sack. Lol.

      Delete
  2. My first thought when I opened my Burda, and saw this first dress, my mind went to girl-wearing-a-sack. Oh, how horrible.

    Marija

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really hope that dress shouldn't look like that :/ It's just so bad....

      Delete

Making 2020 Interesting

I know this used to be a sewing blog, but I have only sewn two thing in two years. I plan to start doing in again in the upcoming months as...