Sunday, June 29, 2014

Dress #20 -- Butterick 6049 (2014)

Hey folks! Bad news -- my serger bit the dust :( It was 20 years old and I was the second owner. I loved it and gave it it's best use during the years I owned it 2009-2014! But it's time to buy a new one and I have my eyes on one. I'll have to save up for it, but that will mean no sewing until then :( Ugh!!! In the meantime, I finished the 2014 pattern Butterick 6049, which is a 1950s throwback...

I have had this watermelon fabric for YEARS, but never knew what to do with it. What could be more summery than watermelons on a 50s-style halter sundress? I'm not going to lie -- making this dress was kind of boring. The entire bodice is lined so you have to do everything twice. The envelope claims this pattern to be "Easy", but I wouldn't give it to a beginner. Advanced beginner, at least!

The skirt has pockets in the side seams and they were very simple to do. I decided to put them in, but if you want to omit them it won't be an issue. Just don't put them in and sew up that part of the side seam. The pockets may add extra puffiness to the hips if that's not a place you want extra fabric.

The skirt is FULL! It perfectly balances out the slim-fitting bodice. The boobs are gathered underneath where they connect to the cummerbund. The trickiest part for me was sewing the straps onto the boob sections. I just can't get the hang of sewing points like that! Hence, my dress is a bit wonky-looking -- but I don't give a flying poop! It's wearable, it's mine, and it proved to be very popular when I posted it on my Facebook! My girls went cray over it in the comments.

4 comments:

  1. Love your dress ... much more inspiring than the pattern envelope!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cannot figure out how to sew the bodice pieces and the neckstraps together. i am losing my mind. They don't line up. Kudos to you on figuring it out!

    ReplyDelete