Thursday, August 21, 2014

Dress #25 -- McCall's 6993 (Archive Collection skirt)

Hey there! I made the skirt from McCall's 6993 "Archive Collection" pattern:

It turned out nicely once I overcame some of the poor drafting and silly instructions. Here's what I had to work with:

The Right Yoke piece is about an inch too short! I don't know if all of them are like this or if I just got a bum batch, but add an inch or so to the narrow end of piece #5. I had to sew mine on after the fact. This is the piece that is too short:

I also didn't really like the instructions for sewing on the yokes. Here's how they have you do it:

There's NO FLIPPING WAY I'm going to get nice clean points doing it that way! Lol. I actually did it this way at first and I just got a rounded, bunched-up mess. So I unpicked the entire thing, pressed under the yokes' seam allowances, and topstitched them on. The result was nice pointy points! I didn't line or interface mine, though, but if I did line it I would have hand sewn it on. The fabric I used was stiff enough to not need it.

The actual skirt when made up reminds me of a 30s/40s hybrid. It actually leans more toward 40s with the shorter length and the bell shape. The hem on mine is 5/8! That's it! So it's kind of too short to be "1933" (as the envelope proclaims!) If you want a classic, proper 1930s look, this pattern is not it! But -- I wore it out last night all done up 1940s-style and I got compliments on it. I like it. I'd make it again now that I know what to do.

3 comments:

  1. ooooh, I can't wait for this pattern to get to australia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to know about both the yoke "problems" and the strange era this comes from - I wondered when I saw it on the McCall's website, it looked too short to me, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for this! Very helpful review:). I too thought it didn't look very 1930s....

    ReplyDelete

Making 2020 Interesting

I know this used to be a sewing blog, but I have only sewn two thing in two years. I plan to start doing in again in the upcoming months as...