Monday, September 1, 2014

Dress #26 -- New York Pattern Co. "Hollywood" Pattern 4141 (ca. 1935)

Hiya! It took me a while to finish this one. I got bored toward the end and it is not a successful project:

I knew it was going to be trouble when I noticed all the gathering. I HATE gathers!!! Maybe I just don't know how to do them, but they always look twisted and sloppy when I do them. I do not like the cuffs on this dress. They are GATHERED down around the wrist, which makes the sleeves hang awkwardly. And for some reason, the one pleat won't hang correctly.

The seam allowances on this dress were weird, too: one inch around the edges, 5/8 everywhere else. Never saw that before. As a result, the zipper pokes the side seam out a bit. It won't lay flat no matter how much I iron it down!

This is the second 1930s pattern I've made from New York Patterns and I have to say I didn't like either of them. Had problems with both of them laying right. Both looked sloppy. I think from now on I'll stick to easy patterns, like REAL Hollywood patterns. They always turn out perfectly :)

4 comments:

  1. That's a shame it didn't work out, as the pattern envelope is pretty cute. :-(

    With your gathers, do you use more than one row of gathering stitches? Using 2 (or even 3) makes it a heck of a lot easier to get an even gather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One row. I'm going to try two or maybe three next time there are gathers. Thanks.

      Delete
  2. That's a shame! The pattern itself looks really nice, and frankly I think that your efforts look really good! Still, good to know that there can be problems with some pattern company's ideas of pattern layout and assembly for the average sewist - well, you're a great sewist, not average, but I hope you understand what I mean. i wonder if anyone else has had problems with the "New York" line of patterns...?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's wearable....just, MEH. I don't like New York Patterns. The best ones are Hollywood! They fit the best and go together like a CHARM!

      Delete

Making 2020 Interesting

I know this used to be a sewing blog, but I have only sewn two thing in two years. I plan to start doing in again in the upcoming months as...