Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Dress #32 -- Wearing History 4001 (1940s Sailor Girl Skirt)

Hola. This was a quick project I wanted to whip up before I decide on a bigger one:

Funny story about this pattern -- I've had it for YEARS (when it first came out I bought it) and I never realized it was a skirt, too. It only says it right there. DOH! I thought the picture was long, weird shorts..lol. Oh, I am so unobservant! Anyway, I finished the skirt in two days, but it did have some issues. Now, I bought this when it FIRST came out so I don't know if this issue has been corrected in newer versions, but the waistband did not match up with the skirt pieces. I cut out size 38 for all pieces! It was about 3-4 inches too short -- it seemed like the overlap in the front wasn't accounted for. Since I don't measure and I trust patterns too much, I found out when I was sewing it on! To fix it I cut the back of the waistband and added the extra 4 inches on material. I didn't want to rip out the entire waistband when a small panel of fabric in the back is just fine.

I also didn't have 10 buttons, only 8! The two on the bottom left are slightly larger but I loosely sewed them on as "placeholders" because I will want to wear this skirt out soon and I won't be making it to Jo-ann's for another week or so. So, slightly off placeholders it is. Doubt anyone will notice!

1 comment:

  1. Amazing. Gorgeous. Masterpiece.
    (naming first words that came to my mind when I saw this)
    GREAT job.

    Hug
    Marija

    ReplyDelete