Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Dress #2 -- Decades Of Style 3007 (1930s Button Dress)

Well, looks like my sewing is moving along ok right now! I attempted the Decades of Style 1930s Button Dress to much success!

This was NOT an easy pattern. Intermediate skills AT LEAST are required to make this/make sense of the instructions. There are lots of clipped corners and twisting the fabric "just so" to make sure it is lined up and no open holes or wonk happens...lol. The hardest part was definitely the bodice back:

Those points were a challenge for me. But I somehow ended up sewing them perfectly, along with the ties. I used linen so my ties kind of don't sit perfectly flat, but that's ok. Also, the sleeves "bell" out, but I kind of like that silhouette.

I'm also not too crazy about all those gathers across the back seam there, but it's ok. I can't see them so I won't worry too much..lol. Kinda like how I forget I have a couple bad tattoos on my back! I also added 4 inches to the hem. I had made this dress previously and I remember it was too short for my aesthetic.

With this dress being somewhat complicated, I have NO IDEA how I managed to make it in December or 2008. Then, I only had THREE MONTHS of sewing under my belt. Unfortunately, I deconstructed my original creations a while ago so I can't properly compare, but here is the only photo of it that I have:

Made in the same exact navy blue linen and red buttons! I really like my newest version, though. I will gladly wear this next time I go out with wool tights and my black Merrell "heels."

3 comments:

  1. You look gorgeous, darling.
    The color combination is amazing, and I like the details on your garment. Keep doing what you're doing. :)

    Marija

    ReplyDelete
  2. This dress looks great, love your colour choice with the contrasting buttons, gives it kind of a maritime charakter.
    And what a great pattern, wouldn't have expected the details in the back with the already very interesting buttoned front.

    ReplyDelete

Making 2020 Interesting

I know this used to be a sewing blog, but I have only sewn two thing in two years. I plan to start doing in again in the upcoming months as...