Saturday, January 16, 2016

Dress #1 -- Diamonds Are A Girl's Best Friend (1953)

This gown has been my favorite since forever so I decided to make it. I just made this for fun -- it's not an exact replica or anything, lol. I used the pattern for the Rita Hayworth "Gilda" dress in the book Sew Iconic to make this.

I tried to make opera gloves, but I just couldn't do it. It's ok, though. Tattoos are this girl's best friend anyway ;)

The slit is in the front. It just kinda landed that way. I didn't follow any instructions in Sew Iconic -- I just went along doing my own thing. I kinda like the front slit, since I think my legs are my best body part.

I just pinned the butt bow on. It might need to come up higher. There's also puckering. I've never sewn with duchess satin before. But as I said -- this was just a fun thing. I will never, ever wear this out!

2 comments:

  1. This is better than anything I could ever make, but no one can do Marilyn's dresses like Travilla did. I think she had to be sewn into some of them they were so fitted.

    If I recall correctly, the bow on this particular dress was stuffed with feathers to make it full. I think it also had something in it to give it support.

    Also I just found your blog and the links on the right (the patterns) aren't working for me. I'm not logged into facebook, though so maybe that's the problem. The message I get is "The link you followed may have expired, or the page may only be visible to an audience you're not in."

    I don't expect tech support I just thought I'd let you know in case anyone who could actually use the patterns is also unable to access them (I can't sew I just wanted to see the patterns?? I like old things).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a fun dress! You never know, you might find a reason to wear it out...

    ReplyDelete

Making 2020 Interesting

I know this used to be a sewing blog, but I have only sewn two thing in two years. I plan to start doing in again in the upcoming months as...