Tuesday, February 7, 2017

Dress #4 -- Butterick 5373 (ca. 1933)

Let's just pause to look at how amazing this pattern is. I'm had it for YEARS. I'm pretty sure I bought it when I was an overweight 170 lbs only because I HAD to have it no matter what. I knew it didn't fit and I can't resize very well. But I had to have it.

Well, I can now fit into size 16 patterns -- a size I NEVER thought I'd ever fit into. I had some pinstripe suiting fabric laying around and I just knew this would be the perfect pattern to use it with. LOOK AT IT! This dress is my masterpiece.

Miraculously, I made it in one weekend. The only change I made was I added 4 inches to the hem. Who ever used it last did a hack job and made it knee-length. I was flabbergasted at how well it turned out (It's not perfect, but it's MINE!) and also that IT FIT. RIGHT OUT OF THE PACKAGE!

I've already nicked named it my "Space Woman" dress. IT also brings to mind:

LOL! Which a Thriller-inspired version might be in order. I also have another Space Woman pattern I now need to make up. It's a 14, but I'm a 16 now so I might be able to work it! Yeay!

6 comments:

  1. Way to go! Love the style, great use of fabric, and I am delighted that you are so happy. Looking forward to your next try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow--that.is.amazing. I love it so much. The fabric is perfect for the style and it looks so well on you! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is absolutely incredible. It really is a deco space vixen dress, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whoa! That is fantastic! :D Perfect choice with the fabric, and it looks great on you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job! It looks lovely and very sophisticated.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful work, I love all the details in this dress - the skirt front, cuffs, amazing dress!

    ReplyDelete

Making 2020 Interesting

I know this used to be a sewing blog, but I have only sewn two thing in two years. I plan to start doing in again in the upcoming months as...