Sunday, January 5, 2014

Unknown Mail Order Pattern #9023, ca. 1970

I finished my cute 'lil 1970 dress! I used this pattern:

To make this dress:

I first made the front with the slashed-in pockets, but they looked awful (not too experienced with that!) so I redid the front and sewed only one pocket on top. I could not get the other pocket to look straight for anything! I sewed all the buttons on top and put snaps inside to close it. I thought making buttonholes would just make it look sloppy. I also shortened it a little -- the slightly longer length actually gave it a matronly "Thelma Harper" look on me and that's NOT a look I want...lol. I'll probably make the bow with a safety pin backing so I can wear it if I want or not. I thought it might be too busy with the button that close.

My first version with the slashed-in,welted pockets took me FOREVER to do and it was just too difficult. I could not get the fabric to lay right, so I said EFF THIS and did it the 30s pattern way. Top pockets are always a win! :) I wanted to sew up something today, but I had JUST NOT ENOUGH fabric for everything I wanted to make. So I wrote this blog update!

1 comment:

  1. It looks terrific! Much better than I could do it... :)

    ReplyDelete