Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Dress #30 -- Butterick 3138 (ca. 1974)

I didn't get any photos of me wearing this so the dress form will have to do.

TOTALLY a cute 70s-does-30s number! Even more so with my version! The picture on the envelope is kinda hippie-ish. Mine just looks like a short 1937 house dress! I followed the directions and pattern exactly -- even the pockets and buttons, which I usually free-hand. The result was perfection! I should follow the pattern more often! Nothing about the pattern was too difficult and it's good for advanced beginner/low intermediate (me) sewers.

And let's talk about BUTTERICK not putting copyrights on their patterns well into the 80s. Obviously, we can all see this is a 1970s pattern. The blonde on the envelope has the same haircut as an actress on a 1973 episode of The Brady Bunch I saw the other day so there's a clue. Another is my handy-dandy Sears pages. It seems like that cut and collar is on every other page of the 1974 catalog, so I'm dating this pattern to ca. 1974. Here's the "proof":

All pages with dresses very similar to Butterick 3138! And all so CUTE!!

2 comments:

  1. What a lovely dress. I really like your combination of plaid details with the solid blue, looks great!
    And I don't know why, but for some reason I love these giant curved 70ies collars :-)
    ette

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the blonde in the yellow skirt set!

    ReplyDelete

Making 2020 Interesting

I know this used to be a sewing blog, but I have only sewn two thing in two years. I plan to start doing in again in the upcoming months as...